Kansas City Park Permit Information | KC Parks & Recreation Dept.

Park Permit Information and Contacts

kansas city park permitsKC Parks issues permits for various events and activities held in public parks throughout the city. For a complete list of parks, visit the All Parks page.

Per City of Kansas City, Missouri Ordinance 50-163, business cannot be conducted on Park or City property without a permit from the appropriate Board.

All park permit requests must be submitted to KC Parks  at least 30 days prior to the event for a general permit and at least 90 days in advance for a specific permit (see Park Event Permit Fees for descriptions). Requests will not be considered if enough notice is not given.

Permit Contacts

event hub

Outdoor Event Permits
Your event may require more than just a Parks permit. Find if you need additional permits by visiting KC Event Hub.For large outdoor events, (festivals, fairs, parades, etc.) please visit www.KCEventhub.com and fill out an Outdoor Event Permit Application. There you will also find resources, information, and all other city permit links for outdoor events in Kansas City.

Park Event Permits (all parks but Loose Park, see below)

Contact Shannon Dooley, 816-513-7787
Download Online Park Event Request Form (this form is not for shelter reservations). Print form, complete form, scan or take a photo of the completed form and return via email to Shannon Dooley.

Park event permits do not include shelter rentals.  Shelter house reservations can be made online.

Loose Park Event Permits (except photo shoots)
To reserve the Loose Park shelter, the Rose Garden for a wedding, the pond area for a wedding, anything within Loose Park other than a photo shoot, please contact the Loose Park Garden Center, 816-513-8590.


Road Race Permits  (runs, walks, bike rides on City streets)
Contact KC Race Manager Jenny Chronister, 816-588-2793
KC Race Day website

Athletic Field Permits
Contact Athletics Division,  816-513-7500
Download a copy of the 2016 Field Permit Information
Reserve a field online>>

Media & Film/Photo Shoot Permits
Contact Heidi Downer, 816-513-7527
Online Film/Photo Shoot Request Form

A permit is required for still and video commercial shoots and professional photographers who are conducting business on public property. If the photos are for a permitted event in the park, no additional Photo/Film permit is required. If you are shooting for personal use, you do not need a permit. You will need a permit if your shooting will impact others and/or the environment or if you are using the public space in a special/different way than it is intended (ie. as a studio or set).  Permit fees and insurance needs will be determined upon review of the completed request form.

For more information about commercial filming in the Kansas City area, contact the Film Commission of Great Kansas City.

Showwagon picKC Parks Show Wagon
The Show Wagon portable stage (32′ x 8′) is available for rent. Fee is $300 for set up with a 4-hour minimum at $135/hour ($840); then $135/hour for additional hours.

Included with the Show Wagon rental are 2 (two) microphones; two (2) speakers;  capability to play music via an iPad or laptop (must be provided by renter) and eight (8) 120-watt plug ins with a total 30 amp capacity.

For information about renting the Show Wagon, call 816-513-8931.

Geocache Guidelines
The following guidelines are to be adhered to when a geocache is proposed to be placed on park property:

  • KCMO Parks and Recreation be advised as to the location of any geocache placed within any of our park areas or properties.
  • No items be placed in a geocache that may be interpreted as offensive, racist or of a profane nature.
  • Placement of the geocache shall not cause any damage to the park or amenities and/or pose any potential danger to park users.
  • All geocache shall be clearly identified as a geocache to avoid confusion as to its nature and purpose.
  • Geocache can be removed at any time for any reason by Parks and Recreation.
  • Contact Lorri Calandra, 816-513-7522 with questions or to request a location for a geocache.

Sidewalk Cafe Permits
Kansas City is proud of its unique and beautiful boulevards and parkways. The historic system is a defining feature of our city’s character. Protecting our identity, while allowing the Boulevard and Parkway network to respond to the needs of the community, is a priority. The Board of Parks and Recreation Commissioners take seriously its responsibility to balance appropriate land uses and restrictions in order to maintain integrity of our system and adherence to George Kessler’s vision. For more detailed information, download our KC Parks Cafe Permits Guidelines.

Download our Parks Vending Permits & Healthy Vending Guidelines.